Tuesday, October 5, 2010



It's October!!! I know I am a little bit late in acknowledging that fact, but I guess I've been trying to think about what we've been up to during the last month. Also, Conner is addicted to the laptop-he wants it whenever is it on-and he's SO determined to play with it. In result, I am not able to use the computer much when he is awake or else he usually ends up hurt because he's trying to climb up and get the computer. Sad day!!

I love the month of October. Not because I am a huge halloween person-certainly NOT a scary movie lover-but because we have so many good things going on: General Conference, the leaves are turning beautiful colors, pumpkin spice candles go on sale (wahoo!!) and because of the cooler weather I feel justified in making/eating high caloric comfort food. : ) It's been kind of a tradition-unofficially-for Dave and I to get have donuts & hot chocolate the first time it gets really cold (enough for Dave to justify turning on our heater) or the first snow comes. Monday it was pretty cold when we woke up and when Dave turned on the heat I called for the donuts! We had a super fun day since Dave had the day off due to Columbus Day (Love those Banker's Holidays!!). I did put up a few decorations, probably the least I've ever put up thus far in our marriage-mostly due to the fact that Conner can and does get into everything-and surprisingly enough Dave did not comment on it!! First time ever especially at Halloween that he hasn't complained about the decorations. We're making progress!! : )

For the last month or so I have been playing co-ed volleyball in the stake. It's really been fun to get out once a week, have some fun, get more exercise, and just have a little break. The first week that I showed up to play, I thought all of my past volleyball skills would be up for the challenge, but I was mistaken!! Once upon a time (about 6 years ago) I was a pretty decent volleyball player especially when it came to serving and that first week I couldn't even get the ball over the net!!! I suppose I could have surved the ball underhand and gotten it over, but frankly my bruised and beaten pride wouldn't allow for anything put an overhand serve. Now that we're in week 5 it's come back a little better-I do get the ball over the net and occasionally have an "ace" serve, but those skills are a little rusty!! I finally talked Dave into coming to play last week since we have to have 2 guys or we forfeit and I knew one of the other guys would be gone. Dave begrudgingly came-while some girls from the ward whose parents also play watched Conner on the side lines) and I think he ended up having some fun too.



Conner is growing as fast as ever!! Just over a month ago he started to crawl and now he crawls everywhere, pulls himself to his feet and walks along the couch, love, love, LOVES to walk holding onto fingers and has even tried a few steps on his own (he always falls, but he is trying)-I don't think walking is too far off. The problem with him climbing everywhere is that he also falls a lot. He is getting better, but somedays-like today-he's fallen and hit his head 3 times already-it makes me so sad and feel like a horrible mom!! We're thinking about buying him a helmet to wear during the day-hopefully he'll be able to balance better soon!!



He's such a sneeky little guy sometimes-quietly crawling here and there. Yesterday I was cleaning the fridge and was almost done and looked down to see Conner pulling out my carton of eggs onto the floor. I didn't even know he was in the kitchen!! Gratefully my eggs did not end up cracked all over the floor, but he constantly appears out of no where and tries to get into whatever I am doing. It certainly makes things interesting!! He's also enjoying bath time so much more!! He's figured out how to splash and that he can move around and play!! It's so cute!! He loves playing in the bathroom in general-knocking off any shampo bottles into the tub, pounding on the toilet and climbing cupboards. Needless to say we've taken to shutting the bathroom door all of the time!!!



Conner is FINALLY back to eating baby food. He pretty well went on strike during most of August and September. He would gag and choke on ANYTHING that we put in his mouth. I don't know what his deal was, but now we're cruising in comparison with cereal, fruit and veggie every day. WOW! Some things he likes better than other-of course-but we couldn't help but take a video of him eating carrots. Carrots used to be his all time favorite-now it's slow going to get any veggie but sweet potatoes down. We thought this was highly humurous and thought we would share.




Dave has been working out in the yard and cleaning up the garden in preperation for winter. I do go out and help when I can, but we're sorting rocks and I can't lift the sifter by myself and Conner doesn't enjoy being strapped to the car seat watching for very long. Consequently, Dave has picked up my slack. He's such a good husband and amazing dad!! Conner and I love it when he comes home and we get some "daddy time". He has has also been helping our neighbor put up a retaining wall around his house-no small feat. They work all day Saturdays (two so far) and Dave is the one doing the heavy lifting-these bricks are 80 lbs. a peice and there are a TON of them!!! Our neighbor gave us a snow blower, a little kids wagon, and a chest freezer in return for Dave's help, so it's benefiting everyone, but once again Dave is picking up the slack-I get a all the stuff and he does all the work. This, among other things, have really made me appreciate him a lot more lately and I'm so grateful for all he does to provide for and support our little family.



We are also grateful for the opportunity to watch Conference a while ago. We had some friends, Graeber and Amber, over to watch conference, play games etc. which was really fun. We're so glad they are close-they help keep us sane and give us someone to hang out wtih. (Thanks Amber for the pictures!)We owe them another cat still-which we're working on-so they can eliminate their mouse problem, but our older cats are harder to catch. At the begining of this year we had 12 cats and now we're down to four-hopefully it will be two soon and we'll stop spending so much money on cat food!! I feel like we're feeding the whole neighborhood and I've had enough! : ) Hope all is well for everyone-Have a Happy October!

2 comments:

  1. Connor is too funny! I was just waiting for him to spit it out ... good kid that he is, he didn't. Love the face though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love your blog. So fun to catch up on what's going on and to see such cute pics of Conner! Just want to reach out and hug him and pinch his cheeks! The carrot video was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete